Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Week 3 EOC My Demographic

I am a member of generation y, also known as the Millennials. My demographic was born between 1977 and 2000. We are the children of the baby boomers, and we are estimated at being numbered at 83 million. We have a purchasing power of 733 billion which makes my group a very attractive market. We are a group that embraces technology because we are the first generation to be raised with computers, cell phones, satellite TV, iPods, and online social networks. “A recent study found that 91 percent of Millennials are on the Web, making up 32 percent of all U.S. Internet users. According to another study, 77 percent of Millennials frequent social networking sites and 71 percent use instant messaging.” http://digitalbookshelf.artinstitutes.edu/#/books/9780558851903/pages/16446470 I definitely agree with many of the attributes that are used to describe generation y. I was born in 1981, and I came up in the explosion of the internet in the 90’s. My upbringing was a lot different from my baby booming parents. Both of my parents are from the south…Louisiana to be exact. They were not raised texting, emailing, face booking, or tweeting. They grew up using type writers and word processors not laptops and iPods. Things were a lot different for me than it was for them. I already see the changes and differences between my generation and the younger one coming after me. They will have advantages and new technology at their disposal that I did not have. A persons demographic is a huge part of who they are. It can be a extremely helpful tool for marketers to determine who their target audience is. If you don’t know your target audiences’ demographic you will be missing out on a lot of crucial information that can be helping your business further succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment